GM Diet Forums banner

What did you eat on your 8th day?

37K views 45 replies 7 participants last post by  Kevin W 
#1 ·
and how great did it taste :)

#2 ·
So far I have had whole oats with berries and a 4 oz glass of skim milk. 16 oz of water for breakfast, for mid morning snack I had fresh pineapple with 8 oz of water and it tastes great. I have lost my craving for sweets other than fruit, and I discovered I like the taste of food without all the perservatives, artificial flavors, sauces, and condiments. This morning when I weighed myself I had lost 14 lbs on the diet. I plan on doing alternating weeks until I hit my goal weight. So I will be back here in a week. :)

#3 ·
Everyone, keep in mind if you go back to an unhealthy eating lifestyle after this diet you will more than likely gain weight back. You have to change your lifestyle! Think ahead before you start this diet as to what you will do after. If you need help ask us we are here everyday to answer questions.

#5 ·
Loaded question for sure, it may help to know what you used to eat first? A normal day. Did you eat lots of sweets? Are you vegetarian? Any insight would help in an answer? :)

#6 ·
Hi there Kevin,

well no loaded question this, but a genuine one. i have tried GM before and it worked well for me , but somehow piled on the pounds back once quit. this time am doing it sincerely. now, i have completed 14 days at a stretch on the same diet and kinda lost 7 kgs.

heres my schedule -
1.day 1 - fruits - melons, peach, apple, coconut water and veg soup
2.day 2 - veg soup and boiled veg
3.day 3 - combine both
4.day 4 - milk and bananas . 1 litre of milk and 8 bananas
5.day 5 - chicken stew, boiled with veg and tomatoes
6.day 6- chicken stew and veg
7.day 7 - fruits veg and stew.

i havent consumed rice since last 2 weeks and bread since last 1 week. iniitally had bread to go with stew, as i was just recovering from a viral infection and kinda feeling week then. but this week i have done more or less stricter on it. my height is 5 ft 7 inch, weighed 79.5 kgs before 2 weeks and now at 73. i want to get down to my ideal BMI weight of 60 kgs.

m beginning to start swimming and gym from next week,.

hope this info helps, kindly advise accordingly.

cheers

#7 ·
Sorry for my late reply....

Diets can be great for kick-starting a weight loss plan, unfortunately you have to get on a plan that will maintain that weight loss afterwards.

Exercise is good, I am more into HIT or burst training. Seems better for the body based on studies...

I am currently doing a Leptin reset program. I never eat any grains at all, gluten free or not. Stick to local grass fed products and veg and good organic oils.

Unfortunately your body may be having issues with what you normally eat, grains ,etc. Without tests it can be so hard to tell. There are so many factors that can cause easy weight gain. To me, you have to give up all sweets, and if you don't do well on them grains. But like I said without tests it is hard to tell. In the US, grains are junk, genetically modified, bleached and ruined, so Americans have issues with them. Other countries not so much, depends on the person.

What does a normal day look like for you?

#8 ·
Hello Kevin,

Thanks for the detailed response,appreciate this.

well, to start with, let me just give you an update on the weight at the end of the second week. It is 74 kilos, meaning i have gained back one kilo more than what it was at the end of the first week.

so, am kinda wondering as to what exactly did I do wrong? yes, i consumed lots of stew and veg as mentioned before, but could that be the only reason ?

I live in India, so yes, here the dietary norms are slightly different than the US. a traditional Indian meal usually has salads, cereals, rice, curry, a fish/chicken/egg more or less.

Now, this was something that we have been following since long time. thankfully, i dont have a sweet tooth, so the craving for sweets isnt that much. but somehow, now i want to be totally be on a health conscious lifestyle.

here s my normal day like , (changed a lil from before)
1.start the day with a glass of water with lemon and honey as i heard that it does reduce in fat or at least stalls accumulation.
2.mine is a more of a home based office, so I kinda log in to my system and start working
3.at about 10 AM, have tea
4.since am on the diet, i kinda have fruits, or soup or bananas depending on the day.
5.at 2 pm , lunch of the same.
6.evening tea at about 6 pm.
10. dinner at about 9 30 pm.
11. work or surf late in teh night and go to sleep.

yes, i know its more of a sedentary lifestyle . am 31 and know that i need to change something drastically to get desired results.

regards to excercise, yes, i think i will go with HIIT to start with and then gradually hit the gym and the pool.

Let me know what you think abour this and as to why the weight reduction isnt happening as desired.

Rgds
Tamojit

#9 ·
You can't do this diet too often, I am not into the honey thing in the morning also. To me what I have done is hit a diet a couple of time within a 40 day period like this then get into a good eating lifestyle. I end up doing fine, yet find when I add more carbs I start to gain some. This is not normal. So currently I am doing a Leptin reset program, very strict, Paleo type program, I found that not consuming even the so called gluten free grains I am doing great. I literally eat meat (grass feed beef, fish, etc) and veggies (along with some fermented veggies that I did - never any sweetener, not even stevia any longer). Not eating breakfast when you wake to me is bad. Also staying up to late messed with your circadian rhythms.

Seems like you wait way too long to eat. To me seems like you need to come off diet and find w hat works for you as far as a lifestyle change You certainly seem willing. Consider reading about a Leptin reset. typically 6 weeks, you cannot mess up on it.

Also read this guy...
http://chriskresser.com/a-healthy-gut-is-the-hidden-key-to-weight-loss

Let me know your thoughts...

#10 ·
Thanks Kevin,

Some very important points and now am getting more into that ‘healthy living mode’, which we all need so badly, but hardly have the time/energy/desire to do it.
Anyways, good that realisation dawns now than never.

Now, from what I understand, you made two salient points.

1.that I tend to skip/have late breakfast and stay up late night – noted this and shall to improve on this.
2. this diet thing has to break after a while and then resumed after a bit of gap.

Let me also add that I do smoke cigarettes a bit. Is this playing a part as well?

Now, what is this Leptin reset program explained in simple terms ? I lookd thru the web and found this.

how do u apply this to yourself on a daily basis, I mean the division of food intake and excercises as needed. Please do elaborate if possible.

not sure,if this is a standard formula or it varies according to the person and age et al factors.

Then, I went to the link you sent on guts and certainly this is surprising and astonishing that we have so much of micro orgs in our guts. Definitely a good read.

I started walking briskly a fair bit in the evenings, for eg, covered almost 5 kms today. Wud this also help in toning/shedding fat as part of cardio?

Rgds
Tamojit

#12 ·
There can be so many factors to it all. I was skinny my whole life, at 40 now things caught up to me, but now that I ave found the Paleo lifestyle, seeing a functional medicine practitioner to help with some lingering health issues, I see to be on track . I eat fatty (good fats) meals and lose weight great. Was not even able to exercise for 10 days due to a root canal needing to be removed. The the doc helped to look at some tests and get me on the right path. I cut out foods that are not nutrient dense. Also, people tend to forget how nutrient dense pastured meats are, wild fatty fishes, etc. They often look at meat as only protein.

Smoking, yes - please stop if you can, such a myth it helps with losing weight, much of this time because people thought hey I am not eating as much because I am smoking. See how you do for a few weeks on a good solid eating plan.

Leptin, this will only be a 5 to 6 week deal, that's it. I can report back in here how it is working, on it for 10 days now and I love it. Although I will say was never a big breakfast person, and liked snacking, so eating within 30 minutes of rising was odd but I like it now :)

My issue was always going on the right path, still eating good foods, but too many bad ones, like tons of dried mangos, nuts, seeds and so on. I had no balance.

At this point, to me, time to go stricter or suffer later down the road.

#13 ·
that is so true.

now, am gradually increasing on my regimen. today walked about 7 kms. and had a dinner of the following - veg and fish mixed curry type soup, with lots of salad of cucumber,coriander,onion, tomato, sprinkled with salt and pepper

now, added a new item today, that was a baked fish -- i mean kinda fish marinated with salt, red chilly powder, mustard and light oil, baked on microwave for about 20 mins. to top it off, a sip of cold coffee.

this was great to eat and heard its healthy too.

also, learnt a new thing today. i mean, knew it already but dint practice it. that is to drink water before the meal and not after the meal , for at least 30 mins.

the logic being --- water before the meal reduces teh hunger pangs. and secondly, not having it after the meal makes the digestive enzymes work properly and not dilute it.

thats 2 new things to learn today.

So, in effect, right now, am not on any diet , but healthy eating. all items and all ingredients in proportion and proper cardio to drain it off. i dont think i have lost much weight since last week. but thats something i need to work on more...

lets c how this goes.

on the smoking part, well, tis not to do nything with reducing weight, just an old habit :)

let s c how it goes. good start, but tough to sustain.

#14 ·
#15 ·
Thanks Kevin,

today the same regimen, tho in breaks. walked a total of 5 kms and dinner of gram, cereals,salad and chicken soup.

now, my friends seem surprised as to how come I have stayed off rice and bread for almost 3 weeks now.

but then, its becoming a matter of habit. and i feel more motivated not to fall prey to the cravings. think i can control my hunger a bit more now.

yes, lots of water in the day to beat the heat and not to feel dehydrated.

after a break of 3 more days, will go for the next round of diet and c how it goes from there. i hope this shows results this time.

this bit of info is very new. i dint know that microwave can be so damaging. Thanks for this Kevin, appreciate it much.

one other thing, this post diet thing has always kinda had me curious. coz, i dint want to fall back to the same weight and flab or weigh more when i have done the initial hard work.
so, this time am taking it more cautiously and being focussed. so much so, that even my wife nowadays is kinda hopping onto this and intent on healthy eating as well :D ( tough convincing wives on anything, but this was a breeze ) ;)

the fun that when u discover that ur belt buckle has new holes and u feel better on the mirror, does give a high. then one wishes as to why they dint do this earlier! :)

#16 ·
LOL, great news :)

Hang in there, I have had no bread or grain of any sort for months. Even dairy free right now, but on an elimination program tat I started after the successful diet. So far things are going great. My wife is our leader here, it is great to have yours on board!

#17 ·
I think what you have done is incredible. that is staying off grain or bread for so many months. this gives me more motivation to follow on.

I will be honest here in the sense, that I have had cereals, Bengal grams, etc in the food routine so far. coz, it was proving difficult to cut it all off a sudden.

I have always believed that women of the home make best leaders when it comes to the kitchen and showing the way on healthy eating. saw that when mum did , now glad to c wife follow this as well.

lets c, i mean i always add this 'lets c' comment, coz i dont want to get too ahead of myself and then being left with egg in face, u know. and off course with women, u know, moods change with a whiff :D .

today s lunch and dinner more on the same lines , fat free, starch free, less oil, no rice, no wheat...

#20 ·
Hi Kevin,

somehow feel that am not losing any more weight now, rather gained a bit, though i wont be able to say how much, as i havent measured recently. say about a week.

now, another thing is , what is this Basal metabolism rate ?

i read that the cal intake must be limited, say 3500 less cal = 1 pound of fat less , as a general equation.

also came across this, not sure how good this wud be.

Quote-
To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:
  1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
  2. If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
  3. If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
  4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
  5. If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
Unquote

#21 ·
I am not big on counting calories, rather making sure I eat a good balanced meal. Meaning right now I am on the Leptin reset program after a good diet. eat 3 meals a day. start wit ha large one with lots of beef, extra protein, eat loads of fat and veg only. The weight is disappearing so fat. Shocking actually. Since you have done the GM diet so much, it could throw you some as you try and normalize things. Plus what kind of calories are eating, if you (most people do) think they can add sugar, grains and such for their calories, they are wrong and it will not work.

#22 ·
well indeed its shocking.

i am yet to get a hang of this. i mean, how can one have lots of beef, proteins,fat and veg and still be under good weight control?

can you please elaborate on the leptin reset thing ? i tried to find more from the web, but it dint help in giving a very detailed analysis somehow.

if u want an understanding of my calorie intake, here it is - tea with sugar and milk.fruits, veg soups on diet days and grilled chicken and baked fish on non diet days. thats all am having. no rice, bread or aerated drinks. this is what am following.

let me know please.

#23 ·
Leptin reset, basically I start the day and eat within 30 minutes (a must). I eat a large amount of meat, say 7 ounces, and veg included in there is some potato (meat amount is key per the plan to increase protein then). Other 2 meals spread out are similar, but 4 oz of meat or so. Getting to bed on time is huge. Eating the last meal ideally 4 hours before bed and no snacks, sugar, milk etc. 6 week program and you cannot cheat or you essentially start over. So far I love it :)

I cook with tallow, lard and coconut oils. Eat a variety of veg like kale, zucchini, squash, winter squash, yams and so on. Keep in mind the tea with milk and sugar is, well loaded with sugar since milk has it naturally, be careful. Meats vary, fatty fish, ground meat, etc...

#26 ·
Hello Buds, how do you do ?

jus thought to let u know that am on week 6 of the diet now. am not too sure if the weight has dropped further now. but definitely more fitter. now, i walk 7-8 kms per day with ease with no tiring. had watermelon, coconut water, sugarcane juice and oranges for today. in between, had a house party, thus had chicken and fish . i hope that hasnt put on much now. plan to weigh in again on the 25th to check if it has shown any effects. then off for a week for holiday. i am actually not expecting much on the weight drop, since the body gets kinda accustomed to weight loss and is more into stagnation phase in alternate weeks. but lets hope for teh best. my target weight is 60 kgs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.